Population + Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has spurred a wave of migration across the country. Americans are fleeing to affordable Sun Belt states, putting pressure on homebuilders to meet increased demand. From mid-2019 to mid-2020 the population expanded by 1.15 million. Just two states — Texas and Florida — added a combined 600,000 people, accounting for more than half of the nation’s annual population growth.
Top 5 States for Population Growth, 2019 - 2020
- Texas. Known for modest taxes and affordable housing, the Lone Star state added an estimated 373,965 residents
- Florida. The Sunshine State, which boasts no state income tax and is home to the world’s most famous mouse grew by 241,256 people
- Arizona. Benefitting from its proximity to California (ideal weather, entertainment and tech jobs), Arizona has broad appeal across the generations and added 129,558 people
- North Carolina. Scenic and accessible, North Carolina added an estimated 99,439 residents
- Georgia. The television/film stronghold of the South and home to Coca-Cola, Home Depot, and Chick-fil-A grew by 81,997 residents
Why Is Texas Growing So Quickly?
“A lot of corporations are moving their headquarters to Texas because we’re business-friendly,” says Mark Dotzour, Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University. Texas imposes fewer restrictions on homebuilding than states like California. As a result, the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area alone has more new homes being built than the state of California. Work-from-home arrangements could open Texas’ many rural areas for new homebuilding, adding to the appeal of the state from a supply and affordability standpoint. Recent additions to the rapidly growing list of Texans include Elon Musk, Chris Harrison, James Van Der Beek, and Parker Posey, joining long-time Texas residents Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, and Mark Cuban.
Carter + Clark currently handles surveying work across the country and is the largest, nationwide surveying company focused on builder services. The highest volume of C+C’s clients are in Texas, Florida, and Georgia—3 of the top 5 fastest-growing states in the nation. C+C prides itself on helping our builder partners grow successfully and currently produces over 10,000 surveys each month, illustrating our ability to manage the high-volume that builders are experiencing. Schedule a demo of our services + technology. We can ease your growing pains and join you in welcoming new residents to whichever state you call ‘home.'
View the full article here.